1.What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

One of the top platforms that students use to form and develop their professional network is LinkedIn. LinkedIn helps professionals, companies, students to share their achievements, work experiences and interests through their individual profiles. I consider LinkedIn to  be one’s online resume. There are other platforms such as Opportunity, Bark, Meetup that are considered to be alternatives to LinkedIn. Though they do exist LinkedIn still is considered one of the top choice used by industry professionals.

2. What can you (as a student) consider to expand your professional learning network?

Networking events organised by the companies and by the university are what I consider to be the most effective way of expanding my professional network as a student. Professionals that attend such events are able to talk to students because they are student focused events.

Another way I would expand my professional network would be to reach out to other employees in the company where I am doing my internship or co-op. It provides me with the opportunity to get their contact information as an interning student which is much more easier than cold messaging someone on LinkedIn.

3. In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

I can create a digital/reputation by being mindful of what I’m sharing and adding to my digital identity. By participating in events that relate to my professional life, and sharing those events on my professional profiles. It is very important to separate my personal digital identity from my professional one. Even though it is a common understanding that one has hobbies and interests outside of their professional setting, employers when faced with personal information about a prospective hire would not necessarily choose to ignore that information. That is why it is important to not share private and unnecessary information that is not related to one’s professional network.

4.Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them – can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity of employment?

I was recently interviewed for a job, and I wanted to learn more about one of the panel interviewers.  They did not have a profile on LinkedIn, but that made me wonder that if I had taken the opportunity to learn more about them, maybe they might have done the same. I think it hinders the opportunity of employment because it opens the doors to biases and judgements about one’s personal life that wasn’t meant to shared to them. It is very important to keep one’s personal digital identity protected, while their professional  identity should be monitored. A good digital identity is always seen as a plus from future employers.