The definition of PLN by Alec Couros in  Developing Personal Learning Networks for Open and Social Learning is: personal learning networks are the sum of all social capital and connections that result in the development and facilitation of a personal learning environment. A PLN an accumulation of one’s thoughts, beliefs, connections and also a huge part of one’s identity. Brad Baker in his interview with Jesse Miller talks about how a healthy community in our social media can help us to support and challenge each other. The best ways in which we can build a healthy community in our social media would be by learning to read social media. By completely understanding the the reach of a social media platform. Brader Baker mentions that it is very important to hear the true story first because information can get lost through second or third hand learning. His statement made me reflect on my own understanding of my social media presence. There are number of times where I have shared a post on Instagram without fully understanding the social impact of my actions. Today trends are popular, but it is very crucial to be mindful of the impact of our online presence.

I am came to Canada three years ago to pursue my undergraduate degree. I had no idea about the history of Canada, and the struggles face by the Indigenous communities. I realised the importance of land acknowledgments, and a lot of my knowledge about the Indigenous communities has come from various social media platforms. One of my favourite TiTok accounts is @shinanova -Shina Novalinga. She learnt throat singing from her mother, and now she uses TikTok to share the lessons she learns from her mom in throat singing. Brad Baker mentions in her interview with Jesse Miller that one of the ways in which we can show support for the Indigenous communities is by listening, watching and showing respect. It is svery important to be mindful about how we are choosing to educate ourselves. It is a long process that requires us to reach out to our PLN and establish the right learning process.

Baker, Brad. “Brad Baker EDCI 338.” YouTube, uploaded by MILLER, 10 June 2021, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4

Developing Personal Learning Networks for Open and Social Learning / Alec Couros- Chapter 6 – Page 128-129 & Page 137-138 in the PDF – (Page.114-115 & Page 123-124 in original text)  https://www.aupress.ca/app/uploads/120177_99Z_Veletsianos_2010-Emerging_Technologies_in_Distance_Education.pdf