PLN, Inclusion, and Community Engagement

The two statements from Shelley Moore that resonated with me from her interview with Jesse Miller were : 1) Everyone in the community is a teacher. 2) The importance of mindfulness when it comes to the use of social media.

I could divide my Learning Networks into different sections based on personal, professional and entertainment. As an international student my personal and professional learning is diverse in the content that I choose to view but not the channels I choose to engage with. As for entertainment I only use Reddit and Tik Tok. I choose the content I want to view, and I have never really challenged myself with exploring different topics that are outside my interest zone.

Shelley Moore says that to understand inclusion we need to understand what it isn’t. I had the opportunity to take part in the National Pride Conference organised by the Business Pride Club at the University of Calgary. I was able to network with professionals that focused on promoting inclusivity, diversity & equity in the workplace. I was able to build and diversify my professional learning network through this conference. It also made me realise that exposure is the key to evolving one’s PLN. By putting ourselves in uncomfortable conversations, and understanding perspectives that do not align with our beliefs is the best way to embrace inclusion.

After reviewing the readings and the videos, I have realised that meaningful inclusion is needed rather than physical integration. Everyone is diverse and that is a strength rather than a weakness. I am ready to expand my own PLN by putting more emphasis on meaningful inclusion.

Miller, J. (2021, May 30) EDCI 338- 20 Moore Minutes . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeSV0rUl1bA

Moore, S. & Schnellert, L. (2017, February 13) One Without the Other Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion (p 11-12). Portage & Main Press. https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/lib/uvic/reader.action?docID=4832579&ppg=6

« »